Dog Poisons

Puppy Dogs naturally love to explore and touch, smell and taste new things. This means that the possibilities are high that your puppy may at some time ingest as poisonous substance. If you believe your puppy has in fact swallowed a harmful substance wash his mouth immediately to remove any remaining poisons. Contact your vet and/or the local Animal Poison Control Center. If you take your puppy to a clinic bring the container of the substance which your puppy swallowed along with you to help in the diagnosis and treatment of your puppy.

List of Dog Poisons

  • Antifreeze is a poison that puppies find sweet tasting. The symptoms a puppy that has ingested it will have are: convulsions, wobbling, vomiting, coma and sudden death. The best treatment for it is if sure that your puppy has in fact drunk some antifreeze you should immediately induce vomiting and seek medical attention. Even withmedical attention antifreeze can cause death.
  • Aspirin is drug that is poisonous to puppies when not administered properly. The symptoms a puppy that has ingested it will have are: staggering, blood-tinged vomiting, pale gums, bloody diarrhea and collapse. The best treatment for it is if your puppy has just eaten it you should induce vomiting. Give your puppy a water and baking soda solution to neutralize the aspirin. The mixture should be made of 10 ml of baking soda and 30 ml of water. Seek immediate medical attention.
  • Chlorine is a poisonous cleaning agent that you should always keep locked away in a safe place. The symptoms a puppy that has ingested it will have are: runny or irritated eyes, red mouth, vomiting, diarrhea and mouth and tongue ulcerations. The best treatment for it is to pour large amounts of water over your puppy's mouth and eyes. Give him plenty of fresh water to drink and seek immediate medical attention.
  • Your puppy can become poisoned by eating rat/mouse poison or even by eating one of these animals if the animal had previously ingested the poison. The symptoms a puppy that has ingested it will have are: convulsions, stiffness, hemorrhage, and collapse. One of the most common toxins used in the manufacture of rat poison is warfarin, which stop blood from clotting. The best treatment for it is different for each type of rodent poison and it depends on the active toxin in the ingested rodent poison as to what the veterinarian will prescribe as the best treatment. You should immediately seek medical attention taking with you the original packaging of the poison if at all possible.

seeFIDODog InjuriesDog is InjuredDog Broken Leg, TailFirst Aid for Dog ChokingHeimlich maneuverPuppy Dog Heat StrokeDog FracturesPuppy Dog FrostbitePuppy Dog AsphyxiaPuppy Dog CollapseDog ShockDog PoisonsSnake or Insect BiteDog Bite Injury LawyerSuspected Puppy dog poisoningDog BleedingDog Electric ShockDog Drowning